Our Adoption Journey - Vietnam

Join my husband and I on our journey to adopt our first child. We have chosen Vietnam for many reasons - but mainly because they are supposed to have short wait times for referral and travel.

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Happy Birthday Ian!

Well, Ian turned 1 yesterday!!! It is so weird to be home with your child for less than 3 weeks and have his first birthday! We had a few friends over with their children yesterday afternoon for cake and ice cream to celebrate his birthday. He was teething badly - so he was not a very happy camper! I think he enjoyed seeing the other children running around however! While we were singing to him I started to get a little emotional!! It is all so surreal to me! I am sad for the amount of time I missed with him. he did NOt enjoy his cake. He stuck his hand in it and then started to fuss. At that point he rubbed his eyes and got icing in them. He really didn't like it then!! I had to give him a bath right away - I don't enjoy messes either!

Ian is adjusting pretty well. He is VERY attached to me. If I am out of his sight for even a second he starts to cry! I am having a very hard time getting anything done around the house because I am sitting with him all day. When he does nap - I am running around trying to get everything done. By the time he goes to bed, I am almost asleep myself! I am sure that his attachment to me is normal - seeing how it was just him and me in VN since my husband had to come to home before I got to bring him to the hotel for good. However, it is starting to wear me down! I am hoping that he begins to feel more secure in his new surroundings soon. Of course, by that time I will have to go back to work (only part-time though).

Ian went to the doctor last week for a check-up and his shots. The doctor is great!!! He told me that he has a good number of internationally adopted patients and that he has done much work abroad in different cultures. He was very thorough with Ian. He took about 6 viles of blood from him so that he could do the standard tests and see what his levels of protein, iron, etc. looked like. Everything came back great!!! He wants Ian to see a dietician and a developmentalist to make sure that he is on track. So, I guess I will be making those appts. soon! Everyone at the doctor's office made such a fuss over Ian! That made me feel so good!!

I will post Ian's birthaday pics as soon as I can!!

8 Comments:

At 12:57 AM, Blogger Mrs. Broccoli Guy said...

Happy Birthday Ian!!! It is hard knowing all you missed, but as time goes by you'll have so many moments and memories to cherish. I'm surprised at how many "firsts" we get to share with Zeeb and he's 3 1/2. :-)

 
At 10:56 AM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Happy Birthday little guy!

Stephanie

 
At 12:08 PM, Blogger saucygoat said...

Happy Birthday! It's wonderful that he's so attached to you. It will be better once he is secure that you will always be there for him. Glad to hear the dr appointment went so well and that he is healthy.

 
At 6:14 PM, Blogger S. said...

Happy Birthday Ian! Sounds like you found a great pediatrician. Once things have settled down for you I would love to meet up--I am in Jax too!

 
At 8:19 AM, Blogger KelleyO said...

Happy Birthday Ian!!!

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Heather said...

What a blessing to get to celebrate his first birthday. It's not surprising that he loves his momma! Although, not the most practical or comfortable, I put Sarah in her carrier to get stuff done when we first got home. Just an idea....

 
At 10:27 AM, Blogger Laurie said...

Happy Bday to the little man!! So maybe you won't be able to beef him up with a little cake (since that whole cake incident might've been traumatizing:)...you'll just have to start him on Sticky Fingers BBQ early! Gosh I'm craving that.
Can't wait to see some new pictures.
Take care Mommy!

 
At 5:53 PM, Blogger Ann said...

Happy birthday big boy. I can't wait to see those pics.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home