Our Adoption Journey - Vietnam

Join my husband and I on our journey to adopt our first child. We have chosen Vietnam for many reasons - but mainly because they are supposed to have short wait times for referral and travel.

Friday, December 01, 2006

NOID - not exactly

So, I have been wondering how I was going to let everyone know what has been going on in adoption land the past couple of weeks. So I will do my best to explain everything...

In a nut shell - we were given a NOID because the mother came back and said she wanted the child. We found out that he was born with "water on his brain" (which we did not know about, but the birthmother did). That is why she abandoned him because she knew she couldn't afford to help him. However, she was told by CIS that he was healthy, so she said she wanted him back. Much to CIS surprise, and ours as well, a new medical report surfaced from the Ministry of Justice that said he did have water on his brain and was "retarded". By this time the mother didn't care - she just wanted her son back, so we ask our that our Giving and Receiving be overturned so that he could be returned to his birthmother.

The orphanage was very sorry for all of this and told us they had another little boy who was paper-ready and was just waiting to be matched up with a family. We were asked by our agency if we were interested in pursuing another adoption. We prayed about it and decided that this is what we were supposed to do - so we agreed. They told us that since we were in country, and our last adoption was so messed up that the Ministry of Justice and the CIS would do everything in their power to see that we got throught this process in another 2-3 weeks.

So, my husband left a few days ago to go back to the states so that he doesn't lose his job (he has already been off for 1 month). I am out here in HCMC alone waiting for all the paperwork to clear so that we can proceed with this new adoption. I get to visit the new child everyday for 2 hours. He is very cute. He was born on Jan. 13, 2006 - so he is 10 months old. He seems like a very happy baby - but it is hard to tell in the orphanage. I am ready to have the G&R so that I can bring him back to the hotel with me.

What a whirlwind of events!!! Giving back our child and staying here alone waiting on a new one has been the hardest thing I have ever had to do. I am constantly praying that God will continue to show grace and mercy on my husband, our child, and me while in this process. We never thought that we would have to deal with the biological mother in an international adoption, but we were forced to. CIS told us that this is the first time this has ever happened. We have made friends with the CIS and they have told us they will help me every step of the way - they even want to come to the Giving and Receiving!!!

Please pray that God will help to speed things up here. I want to be home for Christmas. I can't imagine being here over that special holiday! The Dillon International families have been staying at the same hotel that I am in and have been absolutely wonderful to me!! They are leaving tomorrow to go to Hanoi - I am very happy for them, but I will miss them very much. I hear the new Dillon families will be staying here as well - I am looking forward to meeting them and sharing in their joy as they bring their new children home with them! Hopefully we will be traveling to Hanoi together!!!

Thank you for all who have been praying for us over this most trying time! Please continue to pray! I will write again soon!! Hopefully I will have good news!

13 Comments:

At 9:47 AM, Blogger jenn said...

Oh Stacey!
I can not imagine all that you guys have been through!
I will certainly remember you in my prayers that you will be home for Christmas. I get all teary thinking about it all.
Take care and DO keep us updated...we'll be in Hanoi on monday and hope to hear good news from you by then!

 
At 10:03 AM, Blogger Rachel said...

You have been put through so much, please know I will be sending up prayers for you each and every day. I will also pray for the MOJ & CIS that they are able to process your case ASAP!

And yes, there are Dillon families leaving for VN this weekend. I'm glad you have been able to have people around you after your husband had to go home. Take care & GOD BLESS!

 
At 10:21 AM, Blogger RollerCoaster said...

I am so sorry you have been through so much! Wishing you a speedy process and hope you can bring your little one home very very soon!

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger Stepping On Legos said...

oh No Stacey! I was so worried when things got so quiet on your blog. You are so strong to have endured all that you have. I hope the sailing is smooth for you from here on out. I am so glad that you have local support, I bet that helps a LOT. Hang in there, Stacey!

 
At 1:13 AM, Blogger Mrs. Broccoli Guy said...

Oh my gosh Stacey... I can't imagine. You are being very strong, but I know this has to be so painful. God's plans don't go the way we expect sometimes... it's a blessing for the child that he can be raised by his birthmother and a blessing for your new son that now he will have you for his parents... but what agony in getting to this point. I am praying for you... for comfort and peace and for the rest of this journey to be smooth and easy and quick.

 
At 1:46 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Stacey,

I can't even begin to imagine all that you have been through in the last month. I pray that God will keep his hand upon you and that you will feel his presence with you as you are dealing with all that is yo come.
I am sure that you will have many people who will be there soon to support you as you finish your journey.

Take care and God Bless,

Stephanie

 
At 5:09 PM, Blogger Ann said...

I have been waiting for an update, I couldn't even imagine this. I'm sorry that things have been difficult and I know it must be very hard to be there without your husband. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers as you wait for this to be official.

 
At 11:41 PM, Blogger Sherri said...

I have been checking your blog and have been wondering how you are doing. You have had a lot going on! I will be praying for your safe (and immediate) return with your son.

 
At 12:07 AM, Blogger Dan and Elisabeth said...

I will be praying for you and your family over the next few weeks.

 
At 12:10 AM, Blogger Kelly said...

I am so sorry about all of this. I will be praying for you and your family.

 
At 11:56 PM, Blogger Joanne said...

Thank you for sharing what must be very painful for you. I am guessing you have been through an emotional nightmare - feeling attached to the first child and then having that taken away. I really hope everything will work out for you from here on in. Thank you for sharing your experience. Anything can happen in International adoption. We hear that over and over and this makes it much more real. I will be thinking of you and hoping for the best for everyone.

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Jessica Johnston-Myers said...

Oh my goodness! Talk about an emotional rollercoaster. Our prayers are with you!

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Heather said...

You do have some very lovely Dillon families that are coming - in fact, they should already be there! God bless you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home